So Thursday came and my phone rang…
It’s the breast nurse.. we fed back your information and feelings, and your surgeon examined everything to them..and they agree that full surgery is the best thing for you!
Well I could have cried! I don’t want to spend the rest of my life worrying that it’s still there hiding in tissue. At least this way if it does come back its just really crappy luck!
She asked if I could go see the surgeon that afternoon. So off I toddled to the hospital again.
The surgeon was lovely and wanted to explain that it wasn’t her and that she wanted to look at all options. Apparently the decision makers had also suggested an immediate dermal sling reconstruction and had I considered it.
I politely refused. Many reasons that implants had never been my choice – the risk of problem with radiation, the fact I would need them replaced regularly, the fact it retains the very tissue we were trying to remove..and the big one.. it would mean weekly hospital visits to be inflated like a leaky tyre!
It sounds silly but I’ve done so much hospital visits I want to have my surgery have my rads..and be done. Have our holiday, relax.. deal with a life that isn’t based around cancer.. then when I’m ready I can start the reconstruction process. If I am going weekly for a pump up there is no “end of treatment”
She agreed and the consent form was signed. Practically a walk in the park..only half a sheet of a4 side effects..compared to the a3 chemo ones it’s all good. Oh she says we can also bring the op forward to the 15th
That’s next week? I could avoid thinking about it when it was 2 weeks away but next week?! Ermm
I’m handed an appointment card full of appointments.. hickman line removal, pre op, bloods, admission….OMG this is actually happening.. and really really soon!